Getting Started in CNC

Enter the CNC Router

For the past few years and prior to my retirement I have been on a journey to build up an automated shop. One that would enable me to build anything that I could imagine.
Along with virtually every tool you could imagine I have a 3D printer and a converted laser cutter and engraver, (The K40-S).
My last (really?) big automated tool investment is a CNC router.
This bog will capture my new journey in the CNC router space. 

What Router Should I Get?

I have been watching the CNC communities for some time and now that my K40-S is almost complete I decided to purchase a CNC router. In addition my Dad is visiting me and I thought it would be fun to build it with him, at least that's my excuse for exposing myself to another time and money sink while the last one (K40-S) is not quite done.
I also decided to build from a kit this time with hopes that is would shorten the research effort and the time to complete. You see my K40-S took a year to get to its current state. Of course I had to re-engineer and rebuild everything in it.

The OX

I decided to build and OX and I purchased this one OX DIY CNC KIT. I struggled a bit to decide between the standard OX or the CBeam version. The big debate is the accuracy of belts vs lead screws. I just didn't see that moving the entire Y axis verses only the gantry as the best approach. I got the standard OX with all the options and larger size. We will see if it was the right choice.

Enjoy and comment
Don


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DOX Power & Controller Module

OX 48V spindle control

Building a Table for the Ox